Monday, November 01, 2010

Happy Halloween...

Well, I made it through my first "real" Halloween. This is the first year that Lilly was really excited about it. That's an understatement, actually. She could not contain her excitement--she was ready to trick-or-treat weeks ago. Finally, she got her chance and I was SHOCKED at how fearless she was. It was such a contrast from last year. She was running from door to door, ringing and knocking and saying, "more" before she had a chance to leave the porch. I was so proud of her. It was so nice to have "that kid"--the one who just goes and does their thing. I'm so used to having her hang on my leg. Oh yeah, she was a purple butterfly. Purple wings, purple leggings, purple shirt, purple sparkly shoes.

Caleb refused to wear the caterpillar costume I constructed for him. I don't know why I tried--I should have known from past years with Lilly. I ended up tracing a coat of arms lion onto black felt and putting it on a red shirt. He had his sword. I called him a knight and it worked. It only took him one house to figure out what was going on and he knew just what to do after that. It was great fun.





I'm no photographer, obviously. But, this was the best I could do. The one of Lilly leading Caleb to the door is my favorite--I don't care if it's the world's blurriest photo. I guess I should learn how to take a proper picture.

Go Giants. We did it. And it feels so right. All those years of Giants baseball on in the background are finally validated.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh man, I started crying reading and looking at these sweet photos. These kids are so, so cute, Jen (and Ry, what up Ry?). I love Lilly's costume. From all those choices she had, who knew the purple butterfly would win? She looked adorable. Remember last year when she chucked her pink cowboy boots across the room in disgust? Now she gets it. She gets Halloween. I wish I could have been there to see it. Coat of Arms traced onto a shirt with a marker and called a Knight and all.

What fun memories for your family. I miss and love you all so much.

kimi + joe said...

Go Giants indeed. Watching the celebrations alone was worth the wait -- they deserve it.

And for the record I love your photography.

Lisa Olsen said...

So fun! Love the pic of Lilly guiding Cal to the next door! I think it's funny that Lilly now thinks that Halloween just means she and Cal dress up and walk around the neighborhood collecting candy----since we saw, oh, maybe two other kids dressed up walking around!!!