Friday, February 24, 2012

Well, shoot. Social media is such a time-sucking nuisance. In my opinion at least. My head starts to spin when I think about tweeting, checking Facebook, posting to Instagram, and well, just keeping up with normal texts and emails. I miss the old days when the phone would ring at home and we'd yell, "Mom! Phone's for you!" That was all there was. The home phone and the vcr.

We are still here. I'm still here. Caleb turned three this past Monday. What?! When did that happen? It's such a gross cliche, and one I thought I would never understand, but it's just going way too fast. They need to stop growing this instant. Lilly's little body is morphing into something long and lean--more of a kid and less of a mushy toddler. I don't know if I like it. Sometimes I stare at her and can't believe how pretty she is. Her perfect skin, her little trail of freckles that crosses her nose, and her long hair with the perfect bang swoop. Caleb is also no longer a baby. He is still wearing diapers and sucking on a binky, but whatever--I promise that as soon as I can get the nerve up to break his little heart, I will take his binkies away. The potty training issue is just me being lazy. And scared. I hate potty training more than anything. Really.

I turned a really old age this past January too. This birthday hit me hard--harder than any birthday up to this point. I think it's because I remember my mom being this age and thinking she was such a grown-up, a mom, a parent. Basically, I thought she was old. Not like wrinkly skin and using a walker old, but just old.

I'm pretty sure I'm a broken record when it comes to this stuff, but still.

(from our recent trip to Miami. Her shirt is inside out...)

I ran Ryan's skateboard over with my car a few months ago. It was an accident, but I feel really bad about it. I liked watching him ride it around the neighborhood. And, I was excited for him to teach Caleb how to ride. I tried to get him another one, but there are all kinds of specs I don't know about when it comes to skateboards. And most of them have to do with what kind you rode when you were a kid. So, he'll have to buy his own. Nothing like sending your 37 year old husband out to replace his skateboard. Ha. Maybe he'll wear a suit to do it. Before we were married, he used to ride his skateboard to work. In a suit. To the Capitol building. To work for the Speaker of the Assembly. So great.

Lilly starts Kindergarten next Fall. I won't go into details about my obsession with which school she will go to, but know that it's intense and involves a pretty detailed spread sheet in Excel. We should have it all settled by the end of March. And then I can start figuring out what to do about where we will live for the next 20 years. It's a process--stay with me.



4 comments:

Ryan + Jess said...

Your back! I've missed you...your kids are so grown up and completely adorable. Potty training is completely the worst. I didn't realize our kids were so close! Mady is going to kindergarten this year too and Austin turned 3 at Christmas time. It is weird to grow up :)

k. said...

Jen! This makes me so, so, so happy.

But then again, why haven't I just picked up the phone & called you? Sigh.

I'm all about quality control. Instagram + a blogging (um, occasionally?). FB every so often, but rarely. If I tweeted, I'd probably explode. Too. Much. Social. Media.

Anyway.

Hooray.

Heidi said...

Um, best surprise ever in my google reader today.

Farrah said...

Wow, I haven't checked your blog for a long time, what a pleasant surprise! Obviously you know I feel you on the school thing. Huge bummer for us, hopefully it works out better for you. What do you mean about figuring out where you'll live for the next 20 years? Are you moving soon?